The St. Louis Chapter of the American Society of Safety Professionals will award up to three scholarships in the value of up to $1,500 each per year, with the purpose of supporting full-time undergraduate or graduate studies leading directly to a career in a safety, health, environmental or closely related field.
Funding for the award will be obtained through the Annual Membership/Scholarship Golf Outing, with the proceeds up to $4,500 from that event designated for scholarship funding. Total annual funding is subject to Board review and approval.
Applications for these awards will be solicited in the fall of each year, with an application deadline of November 1. Awards will be granted at the Member Appreciation Night.
Successful applicants must meet all of the following criteria and submit an application by the November 1 deadline:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student pursuing an undergraduate degree or a student pursuing a graduate degree in safety, health or environmental field or a closely related field.
- Maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 for undergraduate students, and 3.5 out of 4.0 for graduate students.
- Complete and submit the ASSP award application form (including the following supporting documentation):
- A transcript that verifies academic standing and GPA;
- A safety faculty “Letter of Recommendation” (250 words or less);
- A short narrative essay (300 words or less) describing why you are pursuing a degree in occupational safety and health (or a closely related field), and how the award will be used to improve your education (or career goal).
Granting of the Award
The following hierarchy shall be used to determine award winners for these scholarships for all applicants who meet the eligibility criteria described above:
- Immediate family (spouse, children and step-children) of St. Louis chapter members, regardless of the location of the school seeking their undergraduate degree;
- Immediate family (spouse, children and step-children) of St. Louis chapter members, regardless of the location of the school seeking their graduate degree;
- ASSP St. Louis chapter members, regardless of the location of the school seeking an advanced degree;
- Students attending school in or near our service area;
Administration of the award
The current chapter board, including the scholarship committee chair, will handle administration, which includes:
- Advertising the awards;
- Accepting applications;
- Reviewing applications in accordance with the above eligibility criteria;
- Granting awards in accordance with the above hierarchy;
- Notifying the award winners;
- Disbursing the award checks.